Minister Of Agric, Chief Audu Ogbe Has This To Say Regarding Nigeria's Distressed Economy...
The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu
Ogbe, after a historical
review of the nation’s economy blamed the current hardship on economists
and greedy elite. The minister who spoke with a group of Journalists
in Abuja bared his mind on the deadly Farmers/herdsman attacks, ranches,
grazing reserves amongst other National issues.
The President Muhammadu Buhari administration came on board with a
promise to better the lives of Nigerians. However, more than one year
into office Nigerians are grappling with harsh economy more than ever
before. As a cabinet member of this administration, what is your
perspective on the economic state of the country?
The challenges we are grappling with today started in 1986 and forced
Africa into what they called Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP). I am
not an economist but I remember shouting out loud and clear that this
was the beginning of Nigeria’s journey to disaster.
I was in Hong Kong with Senator Godwin Okpe, the day they began the
auctioning of the dollar. It was N3 to $1 the first day. We phoned home
and spoke to the then Head of Service of the Federation, Abu Obe, and he
told us that the auction was N3 to $1; and I said to Godwin Okpe, ‘this
is the beginning of the journey to disaster.’
Even when I was party chairman in 2003, I addressed the party then in
Ogun State and I said we were practicing “ill-digested” economic
theories. The then President (Obasanjo) and other members were not happy
that I should make such a comment as Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
National Chairman, but I knew what I was saying because economics is 90
per cent common sense.
If we were going to devalue our currency, it could have taken a 10, 15
per cent devaluation and fixed it there like Malaysia did; Malaysia said
to them, ‘take it or leave’. Instead, we chose to auction the dollar
every week for 30 years. Nobody does that; I don’t know where any of
them, the brilliant defenders of SAP copied that thing from, but they
would tell you that they went to the World Bank and all that.
If you don’t know colonial history, you will never be a successful
economist in Africa; you need to know the background to what they force
you to do. If you don’t know history, I don’t care about how many PhDs
you have from Harvard University or Oxford, you will not understand the
complexity of economic policy as it is dictated to us.
On top of that, we came under globalization and free trade, and we were
told, ‘open your doors and windows to import’; we even removed our
roofs; everything coming in. Today, I think some interests have even
taken Nigeria hostage.
We can’t produce now because over and
above this whole thing, interest rates in this country have remained
averagely 25 to 28 per cent for 30 years. So, you can’t borrow to fund
agriculture, build industries or do anything because it is impossible to
take a loan. Meanwhile, they keep telling us that we are growing at 7
per cent all on the back of figures from all oil and gas. We could see
it but they kept telling us that there was no alternative.
So, the point I want to make now is that whichever government was in
power today, whether it was Jonathan who continued or Buhari as he is
now, was bound to face the problem we are facing, especially because oil
and gas stopped flowing. So, people are poor and unhappy, we know.
But there is simply nothing anybody can
do except to go through a slow process to recover from the disaster of
30 years of error.
And I want to challenge any economist to
a debate on the issue; what some of us said long time ago was, ‘cut
down on imports’, use duty to stop people from bringing in champagne,
red wine and all sorts of luxuries, jets; things that we don’t need but
which we delighted in buying and dumping on our country instead of using
effort to grow the local economy to increase manufacturing; bring
machinery to support agriculture, we did nothing.
So, today we have crashed. And Nigerians
are very angry and we are sad. People have to steal a pot of soup now
or drop a baby to carry gari; it’s a very terrible thing to happen. But I
am asking anyone of them that which government in Nigeria would have
been in a different position from what we are in now? In fact, it could
have been worse but for the fact that Buhari is tightening the situation
to cut down on the waste.
Now, compare us to Venezuela today, where there is nothing in the shops;
people cross the bridge to Columbia to go shopping. Venezuela was
richer than Nigeria; a very powerful oil economy. So, this is the
problem.
Economists and very greedy elite who see
only their comfort when they see an economic policy; many of those who
kept defending SAP were people who had plenty money abroad and couldn’t
be affected either way. All they had to do was to draw down a few
dollars and they had heaps of naira.
For you the journalists, this is the background to this entire problem,
because I had been witness to it. Before 1985, the naira was equal to
$1.50 cents; a naira was almost one pound sterling. They were determined
to knock it down; they asked Shehu Shagari in 1982, he refused, they
asked Buhari in 1985, he too refused to devalue.
Somehow they managed to clobber the rest
of Africa by 1986; that is why we are here and that is why there is so
much hardship. Even now, if we want to take a loan to build a factory,
how can you do it? A million dollars is N330 million naira.
And the ridiculous side of it is, I was in Washington three months ago,
my Special Assistant wanted to buy bananas; he was hungry. He saw one
banana (one finger), he bought for $1. 70 cents; that is, N600 now.
While N600 here will buy you two bunches of banana; which is to tell you
that this so-called devaluation is rubbish. It’s just hype.
So, they corner us into these things and there is no debate; the
political elite is not analytical enough or strong enough to say, ‘no we
can’t do this’, like India and China did many years ago.
If you are not strong enough, then realize that globalization and free
trade mean competition. Otherwise, it’s like sending my five-year-old
grandson into the boxing ring with Mike Tyson; you know very well what
will happen.
The Minister of Finance was called to the Senate a few days ago and they
were asking her, ‘when will this situation change? She should have told
them point blank, ‘this would have happened to any regime anywhere in
the world’ because we were not ready. Having said that; we are working
very hard.
Recently your ministry was in the news over alleged diversion of some contract funds. What is your reaction to this allegation?
A few weeks ago, some people said we were paying money to some people;
the Permanent Secretary. I and the Minister of state stole N2billion.
Well, how was the money stolen? The Minister of Finance handled the
payment, it didn’t come to my ministry; how do you take money you never
saw?
The President approved it, I said I
don’t want to handle it, carry the papers and meet the Finance Minister
and the Accountant General of the Federation and pay into the accounts
of all the contractors. This was a debt left behind by the previous
government, not mine.
The contractors came and said they were broke, then I went and pleaded
with the President then he said, ‘let me help you find something and
give them so that they can stay on the business’; so he did that. For
the balance, they can go and see the President himself, I am not going
there or they can sue the last government to pay them. I will never
touch it.
What is your response to a suit instituted by a civil society
organisation concerning an award of a contract without due process in
your ministry?
A businessman came to the ministry and said he wants to help us develop
egg production in the country; he wanted our understanding and
partnership to encourage the state governments and farmers. So, we
signed an MoU, then they said it was a contract.
We don’t have N25 billion in my ministry. So, we said if you want to do
it, we will help you talk to governors, organize farmers, women
cooperatives, but you will raise your own money and do it. He said yes
that he only wants our understanding, so we signed.
The next thing we saw was that we
awarded the contract of N25 billion. We have no authority in the
ministry to award any contract of N25 billion without going to Council.
Secondly, we don’t have that money in our budget and we don’t need such a
project now. Let them produce a copy of the said contract document.
I will be 69 years old in three days’ time (Thursday), money is not what
I am looking for now. I have built a name; it matters to me more than
anything else on earth.
What am I doing with N2 billion apart from helping people who come my
way. Since morning, I have had one meal; I’m not buying any new shoes or
a jet. My children have been clearly told to try and find their own way
in life; none of them is in government.
I told them, ‘work hard, I have no
wealth to leave behind for you except if I have a plantation in the
village. The day I check out, you manage it as you wish.
A lot of people in this country have terrible venom in their hearts; it
diminishes them but they don’t know. The man who hates is more the
victim than the person he hates because they don’t know what anger is
burning inside them and diminishing them.
As if I knew it, I told them to go to the Ministry of Finance; I don’t
want to handle cash. And they have been paid. That is where we are.
Having said that, we are in a society where there is competition and we
from Benue (I regret to say) are very poor. I know how rich some people
are in this country; we don’t have much.
Nigerians are angry over the incessant violent attacks on farming
communities by herdsmen in Benue and other states in the country? What
efforts is the Federal Government doing about this?
Farmers and herdsmen clashes are getting worse by the year; newly 10
years. But I want to assure you that by the grace of God, I will bring
it to an end. On August 4 this year, we shall begin the Paddock
development, that is, the growing of special grasses for cattle. And we
are trying to invite the President to be there.
We have started bringing in some special seeds of grass. It’s called
Foda seed, because grass is not just grass. Some of these grasses are
even poisonous and injurious to cattle. And the reason why these cows
are roaming is as a result of search for grasses and water. Over the
years, we have not done much to look after cows so the conflicts are
increasing.
No farmer in the world would like to plant his crops and arrive to see that cows have eaten everything up. It’s not fair.
Then conflict begins with the herdsmen
coming from as far away as Senegal. In fact, some of the herdsmen claim
that the grass around Agatu and parts of Northern Benue are so rich that
the grass increases the fertility of their cows.
So, it’s like, ‘kill us if you like, we
are bringing our cows here.’ And it always happens during the dry season
up North because then desert encroachment has dried up the whole place;
there is no grass left in Senegal, Mali, Mauritania, and so they are
here. A few who were arrested before spoke no Nigerian language.
But the answer is we will slowly stop this thing. We have started
growing the Paddocks; very rich grasses. Some with at least 18 per cent
protein and we intend to get the cows to settle in those places so that
this conflict comes to an end. It has to.

Comments
Post a Comment
The views expressed in comments published on my blog are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of queendoosh.com. Please take note.